Combine your visit to the Cooperative Winery of Nemea with a trip in the region. There are many interesting places to see at a very short distance.
Byzantine Church - St. George: (Nemea - 2 km from the Winery)
The church of St. George, at the Southwest side of town, at the ring road of Nemea is recognized as a monument to preserve. It is a small church, which is directly connected with the ecclesiastical history of the area. Single-aisle, with a tiled roof, wooden temple and beautiful images crafted in 1932, it is one of the jewels and the pride of Nemea. The temple dates back to the late years of the Ottoman rule.
Archaeological Museum of Nemea (Ancient Nemea - 5 km from the Winery)
The museum was established in the context of the excavation project of the Berkeley University of California, thanks to the generosity of Mr. Rudolph A. Peterson. The museum was donated to the Greek state and was inaugurated in 1984 and it hosts rich archeological collections.
Mycenae (Mycenae - 21 km from the Winery)
The "Rich Mycenae," the kingdom of the legendary Agamemnon, first praised by Homer in his epic poems, is the most important and the richest palatial complex of the Late Bronze Age Greece. A symbol of heroic Greece, Mycenae, one of the most significant archaeological sites, famous all over the world, is surrounded by the magic veil of the legend of Atreus, whose adventures were narrated by the ancient Greek tragedians. Its name was given to one of the most brilliant civilizations of Greek prehistory, the Mycenaean, and the legends associated with the story crossed the centuries, from the Homeric epic poems and the great tragedies of the classical era, and inspired and continue to inspire the world's intellectual creations and art. As a city of Argolis, opposite the bay of Argolis in the NE cove of the plain of Argos, strategically placed, dominated in many roads. Today, in the same position there is the small village of Mycenae (Charvati, under Turkish rule) and the ruins of the Acropolis, reminiscent of distant and glorious times.
Mycenaean cemetery of Araithyrea (Aidonia - 9 km from the Winery)
One of the most important Mycenaean cemeteries of Peloponnese, just a few kilometers from Nemea, it stands on the hill above the village of Aidonia (Botsika). The cemetery contains 21 vaulted tombs, most of them looted unfortunately, that date between 16th and 13th century BC. It was excavated in 1978-1980. It was here that the Treasure of Aidonia was found and now the collection is in the Archaeological Museum of Nemea.
Ancient Corinth (Corinth - 33 km from the Winery)
Only a few kilometers from Nemea, we find Ancient Corinth and a unique archeological site, representative of its history. The first human settlement in the area is in the Neolithic era, in the eastern foothills of Akrocorinth. At the traces of Olbia Corinth, we come across the imposing temple of Apollo, the Agora, the Temple of Octavia, the shops of Lechaio, the "Footpath" that Apostle Paul Followed in Greece, the theater and the Conservatory. Entering the archaeological site, over the main part of the market place, the site is dominated by the ancient temple of Apollo, built in 530 BC. The Doric columns with the monolithic archaic strict lines were 6 on the narrow sides and 15 in long one. Today only seven of them remain in a prominent position. The roof was supported by internal colonnades and the temple was divided into two rooms, the pronaos (vestibule) and opisthodomos (back room). Those seven columns were the only visible building before the excavations started.
Isthmos: (Corinth Canal - 41 km from the Winery)
The Corinth Canal is a canal which connects the Saronic to the Corinthian gulf, just east of the city of Corinth. It was constructed between the years 1880-1893 by the Greek engineer Peter Protopapadakis. The construction is a result of the development policy of Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis, who, by realizing large infrastructure projects, aimed at creating a modern and economically developed state. In ancient times between the wall of the Isthmos and its enclosure was the diolkos, a street through which goods and small ships were transported to avoid circumnavigation of Peloponnisos. The idea of a canal already existed since the time of Periandros, in 602 BC. The first one who attempted the implementation of the Canal was Nero, in 66 AD, under the designs by Julius Caesar and Caligula. After the death of Nero, Herodes Atticus continued the effort, but then he gave up. The work on the canal commenced in 1880 by the International Society of Marine Canal of Corinth. Due to lack of funds the project was completed by a company of Andreas Syggros in 1893. The canal is 6.346 m long, 24,6 m wide at sea level, 21,3 m wide at seabed, and 7,50 to 8 m deep.
Nafplio (Nafplio Argolida - 43 km from the Winery)
Nafplio or Anapli is a town in the Peloponnese, the capital of the prefecture of Argolis and the main port of the eastern Peloponnese. It is situated at about 43 km from Nemea and according to the 2001 census it has 13,822 inhabitants. It is one of the most picturesque towns in the country, and it used to be the capital of the Greek state in the years 1828 – 1833. Nafplio is known for Bourtzi, a small fort built on an island in the harbor, for Palamidi, a Venetian fortress that dominates the city for Acronauplia (Itch Kale in turkish), and as the place of the assassination of Ioannis Kapodistrias. According to Greek mythology, Nauplios, in the same position where the modern town stands, founded Nauplia which was fortified with Cyclopean walls. Archaeological findings prove the existence of the town since the Mycenaean years. Nafplio is a popular destination for residents of Athens and Peloponnese as it is not very distant from both regions. The most beautiful buildings of the city are the palace Armansperg (residence of the Viceroy of Greece Armansperg) and the archaeological museum in Syntagma Square. There is also a branch of the National Gallery in the town.